More cops will be on the streets in certain areas to battle the rising gun violence in Toronto.
That announcement came from Toronto Mayor John Tory and Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders at a news conference this morning.
Both have pitched a $3-million plan to add 200 more officers to "priority" areas in the evening between 7pm and 3am.
The plan will go for 8 weeks starting next Friday (July 20) in order to combat the recent gun violence that's gripped the city.
Tory said another $12-million is being proposed to fund existing community programs serving at-risk youth.
He said he'll be seeking the funding and the spending for the increase in police presence at a council meeting later this month.
So far in 2018 there have been 212 reported shootings compared to the 188 by this same time last year.
There have also been 53 homicides this year with 26 of the them related to shootings.